Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Soo happy :)

So let's see where I left off...
Friday we had our first maternity exam which went well and our crazy cultural class that is confusing ALL of us because none of us understand anything about politics, especially politics here..what's cool is that a lot of stuff that is going on now (I don't know if anyone has been following SA's current chaotic political situation besides Maddie) is very relevant to our class and it's cool to be able to discuss a lot of it with our teacher, who seems to know everything about SA's history.
So on Saturday, Carolyn and I went into downtown Cape Town to Long Street to shop! It was so much fun! We both bought a couple things, but we found a lot of the stores were a little too crazy style for us but it was still really fun to window shop! Then we took a taxi to the Waterfront and we went to the two oceans aquarium which had some of the most different kinds of fish I've ever seen..definitely worth the trip! Actually we saw these crabs that were from the ocean off the coast of Japan taht had legs that were a couple meters in length...absolutely huge and I was fascinated by them and I think I stood at that tank for 20 minutes haha Then we continued shopping at the Waterfront mall cuz we didn't have enough yet for the day haha
Sunday was just a regular day spent at the house in the gorgeous weather just hangin out and then Monday was a boring day at clinical because noone decided to have a baby that day!
But it was made up for Tuesday and today because I saw 3 live natural births and a C-Section between the two days! We were again the cheering squad but one of the women today was SO sweet because she was so appreciative of our support in the delivery room. It was really nice to know she liked having us there and that we actually helped her through the process. Also, one of the deliveries I was allowed to cut the umbillical cord when the baby was born!! This was so cool to be a part of the delivery. I asked the Dad if he wanted to do it but he said he wanted me to so of course I took teh opportunity! After the birth, the Dad took a picture of me with the baby. It was definitely a memorable experience that I'm lucky to have been a part of! One of the nurse's said that some people believe cutting the cord makes you the godparent of the child haha I hope not in this case!
Now tonight we are going to our Professor's house for our weekly dinner with her. In fact, this is our last one with her because she leaves next week after our excursion.. It is one of the girls' birthdays today so we are celebrating tonight with dinner and cake then we'll take her out for drinks Friday night!
That's all for now!
I'll write again this week!

1 comment:

Paris Fast Food said...

wheres the blue whales?????

and i'm still cringing about the tearing thing.....blahhhh