First off...what the heck is with all this rain here?? We've had one sunny day in the past week...very depressing..I can't wait for summer!! It needs to hurry up cuz I'm ready to go to the beach! :)
Secondly..we finally started class today...I've never been so happy to start school..I need routine in my life again. We took a taxi up to UCT (it cost each of us $1 including tip..I still can't get over how cheap everything is here) and had class all day. I'm really interested in this maternity rotation so I was very eager for the lecture today.
Also, we've visited a bunch of our clinical locations this week...We have a lot to look forward to starting next week. Yesterday we went to the Red Cross Pediatric Hospital, that we live across the street from, and were introduced to the pediatric burn unit where we will be working. Once again, a very tearful experience. It was absolutely heart-wrenching seeing these one and two year old babies who's faces, hands, and bodies were completely burned. Even more sad were the parents telling us the stories of how this happened to their children...Most of the people who were there currently live in the poor townships here and these accidents happen so easily in a house which consists of one or maybe two rooms so the children get to the stove or knock over the kettle of boiling water onto their heads and arms..It was really one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Dr. Rode, one of the best surgeons on the continent of Africa, who specializes in the care of burn victims and will be guiding our experience there. He is an amazing person to say the least..He has an amazing compassionate and non-judgemental approach to the children and families. I am very happy we will be working with him. He has a lot to teach us and I feel more than ready at this point to help as much as possible. We also were able to see siamese twin girls..They were so cute! They are 4 months old and should be separated in just a month or two which is exciting because we will be here for it! The only organ they share is the liver which is the best scenario because the liver is able to regenerate if they are successful is separating them...so that is very new and exciting for us to be a part of!
Tomorrow we have class again at the school and then it's the weekend!! We are going out tomorrow night in downtown Cape Town which will be a fantastic time (great music and dancing everywhere you go) and then Saturday I'm volunteering at one of the clinics. I'll be helping care for the babies by changing diapers, feeding and playing with them, etc. The babies at this clinic are all HIV positive and are there because their families don't have enough money for proper care and treatment of the disease. We toured the facility on Monday..it's very basic..a lot simpler then what we're used to at home in the States but I am still very excited to help out in any way possible.
I'll write again in a few days! Hopefully we will have some sunshine here by then! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment